Women Health Care Hospital in Indiranagar
The medical term for periods (menstrual cycles) is Menorrhagia and the periods are unusually long or heavy. Although heavy menstrual bleeding is a common problem, but most women don’t experience blood loss severe enough so as to defined as menorrhagia.
A large number of women do experience heavy blood flow for 2-3 days during their periods, but don’t experience the kind of blood loss or cramping that comes with menorrhagia.
So, let us try to understand some important sigh, symptoms and causes
Symptoms of Menorrhagia
If you have any doubt about menorrhagia, here are some symptoms you should watch for:
- Tiredness or fatigue (usually due to anemia)
- Pad needs to be changed at least every hour
- Pad needs to be changed multiple times during the night
- Large blood clots (bigger than a quarter)
- Bleeding lasts for more than a week
Causes of Menorrhagia
The reason behind Menorrhagia can be classified into two major categories
- Uterine problems:
- uterine fibroids or polyps (non-cancerous growths)
- Uterine cancer
- Certain IUDS
- Hormonal problems:
- imbalance of estrogen and progesterone
- Thyroid issues
Certain medications can also cause excessive bleeding as well as some kidney and liver diseases.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Menorrhagia
Doctors will probably advice for certain test like
- Blood test
- Endometrial biopsy to confirm whether or not you have menorrhagia
- Doctor may also opt to do further testing if necessary.
For treatment of Menorrhagia there are different options including various medication and procedure. One of the most common procedures is an endometrial ablation.
The types of treatment depends on several factors such as
- Stage of life
- Future pregnancy plans, and the
- Severity of your bleeding and pain
Consult Your Doctor If You Think You Have Menorrhagia
Do not hesitate to call your gynecologist if you have above symptoms and also do not delay because if menorrhagia goes untreated it may leads to serious problems like anemia, which causes fatigue and weakness.
If you live in Indiranagar, Bangalore and need an experienced women’s gynecologist, call our Life plus hospital today to schedule your appointment.